History | Rent the Pavilion | Board of Directors | Contact Us Download Newsletter Summer Lecture Series

HISTORY

This historic home was purchased by John Miller in 1812 and continued in the Miller family until 1938 when Margaretta Sperry Miller donated the home to Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church to be used as a residence for elderly ladies. In 1948 Godfrey Miller Home Incorporated as a non-profit 501( c )(3) organization and opened as a residence for elderly ladies. After twenty years, the GMH petitioned the court to operate the Home as a Fellowship Center. In 1976 the Godfrey Miller Fellowship Center opened.

John Miller, son of Godfrey Miller – the immigrant, and Anna Maria Kurtz was born in Winchester on March 22, 1775. He married Margaretta Sperry on April 14, 1803 and they had five children the youngest of whom was Godfrey Sperry Miller for whom the home was named by his daughter Margaretta Sperry Miller.

Among the treasures on display in this circa 1785 home are:

  • The transcript of Margaretta Sperry Miller’s Diary from March 23, 1863 to September 19, 1863;
  • Three birth and baptismal Frakturs for Godfrey Miller Family printed by the Henkel Press of New Market, Virginia; and
  • The Chevron Batten door called a “sheathing door” (Indian arrow proof) with diagonal layered construction. Both door and hinges pre-date the home.
  • Two 12 over 12 windows with original glass.

Today the Judge Robert K. Woltz Pavilion addition has been completed and provides needed space for programs. In 2004 the completely renovated and restored historic Godfrey Miller Home reopened. Private tours of the Historic Home led by trained docents can be arranged for groups (540)667-5869. The Historic Home is open to the public the first Friday of each month beginning in April through November.

CLOSING POLICY: GMFC is closed if the Frederick County Schools are closed.  Will open on time if schools are delayed.